Today, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) methodologies, for example numerical simulation in scientific research, are established industry standards complementing or even replacing time consuming and expensive real-world prototypes or models.
However, CAE computations require the latest and fastest high performance computer hardware and software technologies to keep up with the demand from ever growing complexities in these models. And only a perfectly designed, configured and operated HPC system will be able to operate at peak performance.
The process of designing, configuring, tuning and operating those HPC systems requires highly specialized expert knowledge and years of experience, which is rarely found at a standard IT service organization, and typically not the expertise of the researchers.
In addition, investing into building up a comprehensive HPC system and to operate it is extremely expensive and prohibitive for small to medium size companies and smaller projects. Such investments include high performance servers, specialized high throughput network components, specialized simulation application software, complex configuration management and – last but not least – comprehensive security measures to protect important intellectual property. Expenditures easily exceed several million US dollars and may take several years from start to operation.
CPU 24/7 provides its customers with a flexible, pre-configured and “ready-to-use” CAEaaS infrastructure hosted in the CPU 24/7 Cloud. The service is provisioned ‘on-demand’, eliminates expensive upfront investments and is immediately available. Using established proprietary processes and methodologies, CPU 24/7 works with the customer and their application specific requirements to design and deploy their HPC systems through CPU 24/7s on-demand remote desktop interface.
Four good reasons to use CAE as a Service
- Customers have a demand-based and dynamic access to scalable HPC resources on the latest hardware and software with short provisioning times guaranteed.
- No initial and follow-up costs for resources, licenses and staff occur. The settlement of CAEaaS utilisation is based on the actual consumption.
- Through the application of more powerful computing resources results can be achieved faster and due to this fact it is possible to take more efficient advantages of licenses.
- An extensive range of service and support facilities gives engineers more scope for focussing on their own core competences. We as the cloud service provider assume the license management, the establishment of a simulation environment and the selection of suitable hardware configuration.
State-of-the-art HPC technology
CPU 24/7 provides the latest and the fastest Intel Xeon E5-2600 series of processors (typically Intel® Xeon® E5-2690 v4 with 2.6 GHz | 28 Cores | 512 GB RAM). In the interest of security, performance and flexibility, and in order to make the appropriate customer specific adaptions, each CPU 24/7 customer is assigned a non-virtualised, customized simulation environment with access to exclusively physically bare-metal servers.
A high performance, parallel file system with data tiering, several replication levels and an InfiniBand network as well as the use of offload architecture / acceleration engines ensures maximum performance and scalability for solving the most demanding CAE jobs. Benchmarks in coordination with ISV, continuous cluster and software (e.g. MPI) optimization and tuning make sure that servers not just run smoothly but also faster.
Easy access and secure data transfer
Maintaining user productivity applies in particular to effective remote access to the CAEaaS infrastructure, including 3D graphics, and to efficient and secure transfer of large volumes of data.
Moving data in and out
- Data Transfer via secure protocols: SCP, FTPS
- Symmetrical connection with up to 10 GBit/s
Remote Access and Tools
- ThinLinc: secure remote desktop
- NoMachine NX: Secure, encrypted remote access
- VNC: Standard remote visualization
- Secure protocols: SSH, FTPS
- CAE application: GUI or batch mode
Pre- and post-processing
Remote Visualisation with 3D Acceleration: efficient and optimised remote access to graphics-intensive, ready-to-use 3D applications, irrespective of the network speed and latency (e.g. NICE DCV or FastX from StarNet)
Contact us for consultation